When you come to the edge of all the light you have known and are about to step out into darkness, FAITH is knowing one of two things will happen .... There will be something to stand on or You will be taught how to fly.

Monday, December 01, 2008

Day one

Day One -
Up at 5:15. Run/Walk for 30 minutes. Weights/Core.

Today, I presented at the Fatima Retreat House. Do you remember when I was featured in an article last spring. The director of retreats at the Fatima house saw it and asked me to speak. I was extremely nervous all the way up to the start BUT I was able to do it. Once I got going it just all kind of fell out. I wish that I could have recorded it or something so that I would really know what I said. My hope is that at least one of the women that listened "got it". I hope that my convoluted personal story of starting at zero and climbing to Ironman and now back at zero and doing it all over again touched them in some way. (that is really a crazy long sentence.) I hoped to show them that Anything is Possible (ie: Ironman) and that all things happen for a reason. We have all been given this gift of today. Today, is all that we have. We cannot count on tomorrow - or worry about it for that matter. I challenged each of them to find something that they dream of doing. Then document the choices they will need to make to get to that dream. Many of them had trouble with this. I was surprised actually. Dreams...come on, don't we all have one? But apparently some of them did not.
So, that was the gist. I promise that it was better in person...or at least I hope that it was.

Throughout the talk...I shared several quotes from my collection of many and these are the three that seemed to touch them the most...

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are POWERFUL beyond measure.
It is our light not our darkness, that most frightens us.
We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented or fabulous?
Actually, who are you not to be? YOU are a Child of God.
Your playing small does not serve the world.
There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.
We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us.
It is not just in some of us, it is in EVERYONE.
And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence dramatically liberates others.
-- Marianne Williamson

Matthew 6:34 Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Hebrews 12:1-3 “Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us rid ourselves of every burden and sin that clings to us and persevere in running the race that lies before us while keeping our eyes fixed on Jesus, the leader and perfecter of faith. For the sake of the joy that lay before him he endured the cross, despising its shame, and has taken his seat at the right of the throne of God.”


So that is how I spent day one...what did you do? Did you get to start your habit off on the right foot?


Peace!

6 comments:

kodiacbear said...

Oh Yeah, day one right? Yeah--mine is not so good--starting again tomorrow :(

Sheri said...

I tried...suited up and went out for a run, but the wet pavement froze and I couldn't get any traction. I didn't want to hurt myself. I don't count it as failing; I did get out there. I just couldn't stay. Try again tomorrow. Awesome quotes btw! Love and dimes!

Unknown said...

I was there at Fatima today and you were awesome--the perfect mix of humility and inspiration. Thank you for your great talk.

The talk around Zionsville today was all about how much we enjoyed the workshop and the fact that we wished we'd brought the rest of our running crew with us.

You've got me pondering training for a longer event. :)

Melissa said...

Day one- I did bite my nails, but not as much. I need to paint them tomorrow, but I hate to paint my little stubby nails. Go us!!

shelby family said...

GLORY ... go-mom-go!
keep it up, one day at a time.

Glad to hear all went well:)

Melissa said...

Day 2-It's only 7am and my little stubbies are already painted. The funny thing is I could only find pink finger nail polish with glitter. Must have been my daughters, but I've been up for 2 hours already and haven't bit my nails yet. The true test will be on the drive over to see my personal trainer. I'm nervous about seeing him today. :-) You know it's after thanksgiving and all.