When you come to the edge of all the light you have known and are about to step out into darkness, FAITH is knowing one of two things will happen .... There will be something to stand on or You will be taught how to fly.

Monday, December 15, 2008

Tested

Saturday around 11:45.

I was tested to the full extent of my Mom skills. I had two kids playing in the basement and one on the computer playing "addicting games" (really that is the name of the site). I was up to my elbows in cookie dough. A blood curdling scream comes from the basement. Up the stairs come running the 6 year old son and the 4 year old daughter...the son says "Mom she fell off the couch and hit her head". OK, between screams I am able to find out that she was standing on the back of the couch and fell backward...onto a toy. Then I hear from the daughter, "Mom, my ear is bleeding." So, I go to look. Let me tell you, it was not what I was expecting. She had fallen and hit the back of her ear/head on a metal firetruck. The truck sliced the back of her ear, so needless to say when I looked I was not prepared to be seeing what I was seeing...a sliced ear from top to bottom, thankfully on the back. You know, where your ear ATTACHES itself to your head. Yep. Sliced. Immediately, I went to drill Sargent. Get everything together we are heading to the emergency room...oven off, cookie dough in the fridge, dog caged up, do you have your basketball stuff? I called my Husband, who was with the oldest one at a basketball game. I called my Mom and asked her to meet me at the emergency room to take the other two away to their basketball games. I collected everything we needed and was out the door in 15 minutes. We arrived at the Hospital at 12:15, we in a room by 12:25, and had seen a doctor by 12:30. My Dad showed up and hung out with us until 1:10 when he took the boys to get food and go to their game. (very nice). I sat there with the littlest P and waited, waited, and waited. Her ear was numbed, we had choices on how to actually do the stitching - either under anesthetic and asleep or awake and wrapped like a mummy. I picked for her to stay awake and all wrapped up. The numbing solution on her ear worked somewhat but she still felt each time the doctor was putting a stitch in. "ow, ow, ow." Then tears. She ended up with 6 stitches. (A friend who works at the Children's Hospital in town said "you know that is a lot of stitches?"...Oh really? ) YIKES. Her brother keeps telling her she looks like Frankenstein.

I only cried when I had to tell my husband we were headed to the hospital. Otherwise, I was good. It was really unbelievable. We have 4 kids - 3 boys and a girl. It is the girl that has to go and almost remove her ear! What is the chance?

She acts like nothing has happened but is very careful about her ear, as it continues to hurt her. I am calling the pediatrician this morning to get an appointment for stiches removal on Friday and find out if they want to see it.

I got my workout done this morning. Missed Sat and Sun - but oh well. I felt like I was getting sick and needed sleep more then the excercise.

What a weekend!

Peace!

11 comments:

RBR said...

Seriously, you are SUPER mom. You should check your chest I bet there is a big red 'S'!

I hope your little darling is feeling better and not milking her injury for too much spoilage (she has to work it a little. It is not everyday you almost lose an ear!)

I hope today is a little calmer!

Calyx Meredith said...

Ay yi yi! I'm so glad to hear that everyone is really ok. I'm sure your heart had enough of a workout from the adrenaline that was pulsing through you. Of our five we only have one girl too - and I have no explanation (only sympathy) to offer as to why she's the one tumbling backwards off the furniture. Just seems to work that way. I hope this week starts off more peacefully than last week ended for you!

Mary Sunshine said...

Hang Tough!

You are such a clear thinker under pressure! And so strong through it all.

Sending prayers for you and your daughter!

Mary

Anonymous said...

YOUCH - you did well to be so calm and onto it. I usually start screaming like someone stuck me with something, and need calming down more than the kids!!!

Go Mom Go indeed!

Melissa said...

I have a lot of sympathy for what you went through, but I was giggling at all you did after she was cut. I probably would have left the dog out, thrown the cookie dough across the kitchen, told my boys they were going to have to miss there games, and probably would have left the front door open on my way out, which would have been bad because I didn't cage the dog.

I'm most impressed with how cool, calm, and collect you were, but my hubby ( I read your post to him) and I are wondering while you were taking care of everything what was your daughter doing for the 15 minutes? Did she have a towel on her head? How bad was it bleeding? Etc. I need more details.

You are a great mom and your kids are truly blessed to have you as a mom. Great job staying calm, cool, and collect through this all.

Take care,
Melissa

PS. I haven't bit my nails yet. They look nice. I would have bit them all off at the emergency room though. :-)

Vickie said...

Sounds like you are up to your neck in kids! I have 4 and remember those days. Great handling of a crisis!

Wes said...

Thanks for adding me as a friend on facebook :-) I grew up in a family with four kids, and I have three of my own. They are a never ending source of joy... and blood :-)

Melissa said...

How is y our daughter doing? I read on facebook she needed her ear stitched again. Praying for you!

Unknown said...

Did a great job staying calm through that. We've had our share of emergency room visits stitches and broken bones and I *always* went into full panic mode. Sigh.

Hope she's doing better now.

Melissa said...

I just realized that yesterday was our day 21. I was wondering how you did with your goal? I know that you had a lot going on at the end. Just wanted to thank you for the challenge. I no longer bite my nails. I bit them on day 1, but haven't since. They are little, but I have nails. Woot!! Thanks.

Duane said...

Ah yes, parenthood! You did good!